The Village of Philmont, incorporated in 1892 and once known as “Factory Hill” because of the number of wool factories, is home to approximately 1,000 residents occupying one and a quarter square miles in the heart of Columbia County. We’re proud of our industrial history and engaged community.
Columbia County covers 643 square miles, about 20 miles from the east bank of the Hudson River to the Massachusetts border. Philmont is located within the Town of Claverack, and the surrounding areas have a strong agricultural base and beautiful mountainous landscapes.
The area was first settled by the Dutch in the mid-17th century.
Philmont derives its name from George P. Philip, who built a 36-acre reservoir to provide water for his mill. This, in turn, led to construction of a 56-acre reservoir in the Taconic Mountains to guarantee water to the mills, thus creating the Factory Hill.
Like so many other mill towns in the Northeast, Philmont has gone through a long period of recovery as mills and textile operations moved out of the area. Yet the architectural heritage of Philmont’s industrial past presides.
Today, Philmont is a growing village. With its proximity to Hudson, New York City, the Berkshires, and the Adirondacks, the area is fast becoming a popular destination. Philmont is also an attractive place for new residents and businesses because of its village charm, centralized location, and economic revitalization.
The Village of Philmont is two and a half hours north of New York City, three hours west of Boston, and approximately an half-hour drive from Albany and Poughkeepsie. Find Philmont on Google Maps.
As of the census of 2020, there were 1,165 people living in the village.
Philmont celebrates four diverse seasons and provides wonderful opportunities nearby for skiing, hiking, bicycling, and other outdoor activities.