The Village of Philmont, in a project partnership with Philmont Beautification, Inc., has released a three-volume Reconnaissance-Level Cultural Resources Survey and Appendices, conducted and compiled by preservationist consultant, Jessie Ravage. The survey contains the history of the village dating back to the settlement of Philmont, which was in process by 1795 when George Philip (c. 1754 – 1806) acquired rights to open a fulling mill on Agawamuck Creek. Joseph Horton opened a second mill upstream from High Falls in 1807. The mill hamlet that evolved to serve this operation was known as Factory Hill. Anticipating the completion of the New York & Harlem Railroad, George P. Philip (1811-1890) improved the waterpower and mill infrastructure to establish a power canal.
Copies of the three-volume survey are available at the Village Office and the Philmont Library. Electronic versions can be accessed by clicking on the images below.
Read the press release.